Last 48 Hours: Two Shootings And One Home Invasion Reported On St. Croix
Two people were shot on St. Croix in separate incidents Saturday and a hostage situation was reported as part of a home invasion in Estate Strawberry Friday, according to police.
The first incident of a shooting was reported on Saturday, July 11, 2015 at roughly 3:53a.m., the 911 Emergency Call Center received notification from the Juan F. Luis Hospital and Medical Center’s Emergency Room indicating that a female gunshot victim had walked in for medical treatment, police said.
Officers responded to the call and met with the victim, a 29 year-old female, who stated that she was in the Estate Richmond area, standing outside a private residence where there was a house party. The victim said that four male individuals approached her with guns and told her not to move.
She stated that one of the individuals then fired shots at her and she was struck in her left shoulder and received a graze to her neck area, and that she then travelled to the Emergency Room for treatment.
The second incident was reported at approximately 8:15 a.m., when the 911 Emergency Call Center received a report from the Juan F. Luis Hospital and Medical Center’s Emergency Room of a male gunshot victim who walked into the Emergency Room for treatment.
Officers responded and met with the 18-year-old victim, who stated that he was sitting on his porch in Estate Glynn sometime after 3:00 a.m. talking on his phone, when a vehicle drove by his residence and stopped. The operator of the vehicle then asked him if he was from Christiansted or Frederiksted, pointed a gun at him, discharged a shot and drove off.
The victim indicated that he felt when he was struck and waited for a ride to take him to the hospital. He sustained a gunshot wound to his right forearm.
On Friday July 10, 2015 at about 9:24 p.m., the 911 Emergency Call Center received a call of a home invasion in Estate Strawberry and the caller stated that his minor children were being held as hostages in the home.
A preliminary investigation indicates that two children, aged 17 and eight years old were at the residence when the elder of the two went outside to check the home’s air conditioning system. While outside, he was approached by three male individuals with guns who demanded money.
The individuals then led the 17-year-old into the residence, where the suspects discovered a safe in the house and began to move the safe outside. As the suspects got outside the home with the safe, shots were fired and the individuals ran off leaving the safe on the premises.
At that time, the 911 Emergency Call Center then received a call from a concerned citizen within the neighborhood, indicating that an individual was shot and needed help.
The Call Center then dispatched an ambulance to the area, at which time it was discovered that a seventeen year old minor had been shot twice, and was transported to the hospital via ambulance.
Police detectives said they are continuing their investigation into these matters.