At VIFreepBreaking NewsCrime NewsSt. Thomas News

Arson Trial Of James Nibbs Jr. Gets Underway In St. Thomas

james nibbs

            James Edward Nibbs

CHARLOTTE AMALIE – The trial of James Nibbs, Jr. got underway Wednesday morning before V.I. Superior Court Judge Denise Francois.

Nibbs, 40, is facing one count of second-degree arson, stemming from a Dec. 28, 2015 incident.

Several witnesses, including the victim, Erline Roach, took the stand to testify on the prosecution’s behalf. Roach told jurors that she took her car to Cliff Tonge to be repaired.

Nibbs was also working at the same mechanic shop at the time. Roach said she paid Tonge $700 before he did the work, but after she retrieved her vehicle, she noticed that the work on her car was not completed. She called Tonge to tell him that she was still experiencing problems with the car.

“Two days later, Mr. Tonge and Mr. Nibbs called me. I went to the police station to make a report. While at the police station, Mr. Nibbs left a voice message on my handset,” Roach testified.

Prosecutors are also relying on that voice message to prove their case against Nibbs. The voice, which sounded like a man’s, demanded money from Roach, then threatened to burn something.

Roach, who said she knew Nibbs and had heard his voice at least four times on the telephone and three times in person, said she recognized the voice on the recording as Nibbs’.

Tonge, who also offered testimony, stated that he has known Nibbs for about 14 years. After listening to a replay of the voice message inside the courtroom, Tonge told the court that it was Nibbs’ voice on the recording.

According to an affidavit filed by police detective, Alex Dorsett, Roach told police that on Oct. 10, 2015, Nibbs left a message on her mobile phone that he wanted his money or else he will come and burn her vehicle.

Then, on Dec. 8, 2015, at about 12:30 a.m., Nibbs went to the Mariel C. Newton Command and reported to a police officer that he just burned a vehicle in the Frydenhoj area. On that same day at about 6:30 a.m., Roach called 911 and reported that someone burnt her vehicle.

During Nibbs’ arrest on Jan. 21, Dorsett played the voicemail recording that was left on Roach’s cellular phone and Nibbs said, “I didn’t mean the message; I was just upset at the time,” Dorsett wrote in his affidavit.

Nibbs’ trial resumes today.

To read more, please click on the following link:

Previous post

St. Thomas' Daryl Homer Earns Historic Silver Medal In Olympic Fencing

Next post

Expert: Parents Need To Be More Supportive Of Their Mentally Ill Children

The Author

John McCarthy

John McCarthy

John McCarthy has been reporting on the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Caribbean region since 1989. John's articles have appeared in the BVI Beacon, St. Croix Avis, San Juan Star and Virgin Islands Daily News. He is originally from Detroit, Michigan.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *