At VIFreepBreaking NewsCaribbean NewsCommunity AffairsEducation NewsGovernment House NewsPuerto Rico NewsSt. Croix NewsSt. John NewsSt. Thomas News

Puerto Rico’s Education Secretary Says School Enrollment Is Down Eleven Percent … Mapp And Local Education Officials Won’t Say If Territory Has Suffered A Comparable Loss

SAN JUAN — Puerto Rico’s education secretary says enrollment at the U.S. commonwealth’s public schools this year has dropped by 11 per cent so far compared with the previous year.

Julia Keleher said Thursday that some 317,000 students have enrolled for the new school year, roughly 40,000 less than those registered in May.

Classes are scheduled to start today and officials expect to have formal enrollment numbers later today.

Puerto Rico closed 167 schools over the summer as families continue to migrate to the U.S. mainland to flee a deepening economic crisis. Overall school enrolment has dropped 42 per cent in the past three decades.

Keleher also said she plans to serve as principal of three schools to implement new programs that she might extend to other schools.

V.I. Education Commissioner Sharon McCollum did not return repeated requests for comment on this story.

Previous post

St. Thomas Native Jharel Cotton Snaps Winless Streak With 3-2 Victory Over The Houston Astros

Next post

WAPA Does What The Virgin Islands Government Cannot Do: Borrows Money On The U.S. Bond Market: This Time To The Tune of $14.8 Million

The Author

John McCarthy

John McCarthy

John McCarthy has been reporting on the U.S. Virgin Islands since 1989. He is originally from Detroit, Michigan.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *