Mexican National Gets 2 Years For Returning To The U.S. After Being Deported
U.S. District Judge Curtis Gomez
CHARLOTTE AMALIE – A 47-year-old Mexican national was sentenced in federal court Wednesday for re-entering the United States after previously being deported, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
U.S. District Court Judge Curtis Gomez sentenced Carlos Salvador Fernandez to 25 months in prison and three years of supervised release for illegal entry, said U.S. Attorney Ronald Sharpe.
On June 10, 2015, Fernandez pleaded guilty to reentry after deportation.
Court records show that on April 20, 2015, Fernandez presented himself for inspection at the Cyril E. King International Airport on St. Thomas prior to boarding a flight to Washington, D.C.
When questioned, Fernandez claimed to be a United States permanent resident. Fernandez was referred for secondary inspection at which time he admitted that he was previously deported from the United States in February 2006.
The U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security did not give permission for him to re-enter the United States, Sharpe said.
The case was investigated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Nelson Jones.
U.S. Attorney Ronald Sharpe