At VIFreepBreaking NewsCrime NewsSt. Thomas News

Main Street Barker Is Tased Twice By Police; Pepper Sprayed 3 Times (VIDEO UPDATE#2)


Everett Parker head shot

FREE TODAY: Everett Parker

CHARLOTTE AMALIE – A 46-year-old man who was accused of disrupting traffic on Main Street in St. Thomas was put under arrest by police with the use of a Taser gun and pepper spray Thursday afternoon.

But by Friday afternoon — after the VIPD’s top brass held a press conference to discuss the “use of force” in detaining Main Street barker Everett Parker — the man arrested by police was set free.

At a press conference today, Police Commissioner Delroy Richards Sr. identified  Cpl. Daniel Chinnery as the officer who tased and pepper sprayed Parker. Chinnery has been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the results of an Internal Affairs investigation into the incident.

A popular cell phone video showing part of the arrest of Parker as he was tased by Chinnery was shared widely on social media in the Virgin Islands on Friday.

The majority of public opinion in social media today was that Chinnery had used excessive force in the arrest of Parker Thursday.

The police statement said that two officers arrived in downtown Charlotte Amalie and saw Parker walking in and out of traffic.

The 911 Emergency Call Center notified police at 3:43 p.m. Thursday that a call for assistance had been put in between Main Street and Raadets Gade.

The statement said that police told Parker to leave the area, and when they did —  the Bonne Resolution man began to curse them.

When Parker refused to leave as instructed, police told him that he was under arrest. As Chinnery tried to handcuff him, Parker pulled away and punched the officer in the face with a closed fist, the police said.

But the police description of events was disputed on social media with at least one person saying that Parker only slapped the officer after the policeman had slapped the civilian’s cell phone out of his hand as he tried to record the arrest on video as it was happening in real time.

Chinnery claimed that it was only when he was under attack that he decided to use the  Taser on Parker — and only then — to incapacitate him. Parker immediately fell to the ground after being tased, according to police.

Seconds later, despite the order from officers not to resist, Parker pulled the prongs of the Taser device out of his chest, police said.

Parker got up off the ground and  police said he continued to “act erratically,” when the command to stop resisting was again given, according to police. So Chinnery tased Parker again, and again he fell to the ground.

Despite being tased twice, Parker got up again and then began weaving his way through the traffic on the street, refusing to comply with the verbal commands of the officers to cease and desist, police said.

Parker was then sprayed with a burst of OC Gas (pepper spray), but that didn’t halt the man’s attempted escape, so the officer sprayed him two more times, police said in the statement.

Parker eventually acquiesced and he was handcuffed and placed under arrest by police, the statement said. The tased man was then transported to the Roy Lester Schneider Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Once “decontaminated” and treated for abrasions sustained from the Taser prongs, Parker was taken to the Richard N. Callwood Command, where he was formally charged with Disobeying a Lawful Order, Aggravated Assault and Battery of an Officer, Disturbance of the Peace and Resisting Arrest, police said.

Bail for Parker was set at $3,000.00. Unable to post bail, he was remanded to the Bureau of Corrections pending an Advice of Rights hearing.


To view the video of the incident click on the link to the video below:


Previous post

23-Year-Old Man Found Shot To Death At The Knolls Just Before Midnight

Next post

DPNR: Halfpenny Beach In St. Croix Is The Only Beach Considered Not Safe

The Author

John McCarthy

John McCarthy

John McCarthy is primarily known for his investigative reporting on the U.S. Virgin Islands. A series of reports beginning in the 1990's revealed that there was everything from coliform bacteria to Cryptosporidium in locally-bottled St. Croix drinking water, according to a then-unpublished University of the Virgin Islands sampling. Another report, following Hurricane Hugo in 1989, cited a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) confidential overview that said that over 40 percent of the U.S. Virgin Islands public lives below the poverty line. The Virgin Islands Free Press is the only Caribbean news source to regularly incorporate the findings of U.S. Freedom of Information Act requests. John's articles have appeared in the BVI Beacon, St. Croix Avis, San Juan Star and Virgin Islands Daily News. He is the former news director of WSVI-TV Channel 8 on St. Croix.

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *