Site icon Virgin Islands Free Press

Convicted Connecticut Jewelry Store Thief Released After Posting $2,500 Bail

Convicted Connecticut Jewelry Store Thief Released After Posting $2,500 Bail

CAUGHT, THEN RELEASED: Jerry Carter, 50, of Hartford, Connecticut.

CHARLOTTE AMALIE — A New Jersey resident who violated his probation in Connecticut was arrested by police at the Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas on Friday night, authorities said.

Jerry Carter, 50, of Lawrence, N.J. was arrested at 7:45 p.m. Friday and then released after posting bail, the Virgin Islands Police Department said.

“According to the warrant, Carter failed to pay court-ordered restitution for a larceny in which he was convicted,” VIPD spokesman Toby Derima said.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) notified VIPD Criminal Investigation Bureau detectives that Carter was a fugitive from justice.

Carter was detained at the airport by CBP officers and then turned over to local police for processing.

“He was booked, able to post ten (10) percent of his $25,000.00 bond, and released pending advice of rights,” the VIPD said.

In 1992, a Jerry Carter pleaded guilty to an attempted murder conspiracy charge in Superior Court in Connecticut under the Alford doctrine, meaning he did not admit to the allegations but acknowledged there was probably enough evidence to convict him. He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, according to court records. He was 21 at the time.

When he was arrested in 1991 in that case, police said he was one of two men involved in the killing of 31-year-old Hubert Pinnock, a drug addict and career burglar who was fatally shot January 28, 1991.

Police in Connecticut said that Carter has been a fugitive from justice in the past on kidnapping and robbery charges. He has a criminal history of robbing jewelry stores, they said.

In one two-year period, he was accused of stealing at least $2.5 million worth of jewelry, by robbing five Connecticut-area jewelry stores.

Exit mobile version