Peter’s Rest Woman Charged With Child Neglect After Relative Picks Up Unattended Child In Car
CHRISTIANSTED — A St. Croix woman was charged with child neglect after she told police she couldn’t find her six-year-old child, authorities said.
Olga T. Reyes, 36, of Peter’s Rest, was arrested about 8:45 a.m. on Monday and charged with child neglect, the Virgin Islands Police Department said.
A few hours earlier, Reyes reported to police that her six-year-old daughter was “abducted,” according to the VIPD.
“Investigation revealed, however, that Reyes went to a male acquaintance’s residence at about 1:45 a.m., leaving her daughter in her vehicle unattended,” VIPD spokesman Toby Derima said. “The minor contacted a relative to pick her up.”
When Reyes returned to her vehicle sometime later, she realized that her daughter was not there, according to Derima.
Police were notified several hours after Reyes noticed her daughter missing.
“The minor was found in good health,” the police spokesman said. “Reyes admitted to leaving the minor in the vehicle unattended and was arrested as a result.”
Bail for Reyes was set at $10,000. Unable to post bail, she was remanded to the custody the Virgin Islands Bureau of Corrections pending an advice-of-rights hearing.
“Next time she should remember children are worth more than a roll in the hay,” Sonia Roy wrote on Facebook. “Find a baby sitter don’t treat your kids like they don’t deserve the best. keep them safe. they should catch all those women that do this. she is not the only one….”
Meanwhile, a male nurse Facebook troll contended that the public information contained in this article should not have been published and made a threat of violence to the reporter who wrote the piece.
“You’re a geek who cant stay out of other people’s private affairs and life,” a man calling himself “Dustin RN” on Facebook said. “I promise someone needs to put you in your place for spreading other people’s dirty laundry and spreading story’s about peoples private affairs.”
- Dustin RN im getting tired of you always sharing other peoples business. Back in my day we’d clock someone in the jar for talking about other people as much as you do.1 Delete, hide or report this
- Dustin RN This reporter should mind his own business and stay out of ppls business. Delete, hide or report this.
- AuthorVirgin Islands Free Press But it is OK for the V.I. Consortium and St. Croix Source to do the same story? Get a grip “Dustin RN.”
- Dustin RN You’re a geek who cant stay out of other people’s private affairs and life. I promise someone needs to put you in your place for spreading other people’s dirty laundry and spreading story’s about peoples private affairs.
- AuthorVirgin Islands Free Press So no one needs to put the Consortium or Source in their place, too? What do you mean by “put him in his place? Can you be more specific?
- Dustin RN Nope. I can’t. Sorry. Just stay out of peoples private business and you won’t have to worry about it will you. Would you like your private business for everyone to see. Idiot’s like you fail to realize that arrest means nothing. All people guaranteed the presumption of innocence unless proven guilty in a court of law. Therefore why post crap about some one who may be innocent. Cops don’t know law, they don’t have law degrees. You look like a clown anyway so perhaps spreading other people’s private issues makes you feel superior, Idk.