VIDOH Says 72-Year-Old St. Croix Man Was 5th COVID-19 Victim – (UPDATE)
CHRISTIANSTED — The U.S. Virgin Islands ended the weekend on a negative note, with yet another fatality reported this weekend.
A 72-year-old St. Croix man who was on a ventilator at the Juan F. Luis Hospital because the fifth person to die of COVID-19 on Saturday, the Virgin Islands Health Department said.
He was the husband of the territory’s fourth COVID-19 victim, a 67-year-old St. Croix woman who died last week, according to the VIDOH.
Governor Albert Bryan, Jr. officially instituted “Safer at Home” today.
The Virgin Islands Department of Health is tracking 22 people for COVID-19. In April, VIDOH was tracking just four people for the novel coronavirus.
The four previous deaths involved people over the age of 67 who had underlying health problems, Bryan said previously.
The first two deaths occurred on St. Thomas, the last three deaths occurred on St. Croix. Government House again refused to confirm which island the fifth death occurred on.
To date, 1,242 individuals have been tested for the novel coronavirus, with 1,115 of them testing negative for the virus, and 69 testing positive. Of those who tested positive, 51 have recovered, and 22 tests are pending.
No further information was available from Government House tonight. Its two public information officers, do not entertain questions from the Virgin Islands Free Press.