DLCA Wants Inventory List From Local Businesses
CHRISTIANSTED — Governor Albert Bryan, Jr., declared a State of Health Emergency in the United States Virgin Islands on Friday.
And the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs simultaneously issued a price freeze order on items and services related to the prevention and spread of COVID-19 at the price level existing immediately prior to the proclamation of the state of emergency in order to protect the residents of the territory from price-gouging and other unfair business practices.
“To protect consumers, we have requested retailers to submit a current list of their inventory with prices and expected delivery of future inventory” DLCA Commissioner Evangelista said.
Commodities covered under the COVID-19 State of Emergency are:
1. Protective masks used to protect you from others if you are sick
2. All personal protective equipment, including gowns, booties, gloves, & other protective gear
3. Sanitizing & disinfecting supplies, such as hand sanitizer, gel, wipes, cleaning supplies for surface cleaning & all commercial cleaning supplies. For example: clorox, lysol, vinegar, aloe vera, rubbing alcohol
4. Toilet paper and other paper wiping products
5. Dettol and any other hand or body washing soap
6. Water During this uncertain time, DLCA commends businesses for doing its best to maintain inventory at fair prices. Continue to submit price lists, to adhere to price freeze and know that you have an opportunity to petition for price increases prior to increasing prices with essential support for cost changes justifying an increase.
Please note that a price freeze does not mean that you cannot lower your prices based on decreased cost changes.
The freeze is a ceiling on current prices to protect consumers from unfair pricing.
Price list can be emailed to email@example.com
The DLCA said it will continue to monitor the situation and revise the above list as necessary.
For more information on COVID-19, the new strain of coronavirus, please visit the USVI Department of Health’s website, doh.vi.gov/coronavirus or text COVID19USVI to 888777. #COVID19USVI