How To Replace Or Correct Your Social Security Card During COVID-19 Pandemic

How To Replace Or Correct Your Social Security Card During COVID-19 Pandemic

Social Security offices are currently open only for in-person appointments for limited, critical situations, depending upon local office conditions. However, you can continue to apply for a replacement Social Security card online and by mail. Before requesting a replacement card, please remember that you might not need the physical card. Most of the time, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.

If you have a critical situation that requires you to have a physical card and you cannot apply by mail or online, you should call your local Social Security office. Please visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates page for more information at

Applying Online

If you do not need any changes to your Social Security Number record -such as a name or date of birth change-, applying for a replacement card online is your most convenient option. You do not need to mail proof or visit an office.

You can use our online application only you are an adult who has a State-issued drivers’ license or non-driver identification card issued by Washington DC or one of the 45 States participant states that electronically verifies State-issued documents for us. All you need to do is create a my Social Security account to access and complete the online application at

If you live in one of the five States that do not participate — Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and West Virginia — or the US territories, please know that we are working hard to bring this service to you as soon as possible.

Applying by Mail

We require proof of your identity with your replacement card application (, usually an original State-issued drivers’ license or non-driver identification card, or U.S. passport. We call these documents “primary” identity proofs. We understand mailing original primary identity proofs with your replacement card application can be challenging. To help, we are temporarily expanding our policy to accept alternative identity documents—or what we call “secondary proofs” — when you cannot mail primary proof.

Acceptable secondary proofs include, but are not limited to:

· Employee identification card.

· School identification card.

· Health insurance card (not a Medicare card).

· U.S. military identification card.

These proofs must be current (not expired), show your name and identifying information (such as your date of birth or age), and be an original or a certified copy.

If you need to correct or change your name and/or surname, when you mail your replacement card application, you will need to submit proof of identity plus proof of the name change. The proof of identity can be primary or secondary proof. Proof of the name change could be a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, Certificate of Naturalization showing the new name, or a court order approving the name change.

You may be able to submit one document to serve as proof of your name change and identity. For example, you may submit a marriage certificate as proof of name change and identity if the certificate shows the marriage occurred within the prior two years and:

· Includes your prior name.

· Includes your age, birth date or parents’ names.

· This information matches your Social Security Number record.

We will return any documents you send us.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we could not receive visitors at our field office except for previously arranged appointments on special limited critical situations. However, we continue providing our services by phone and internet. If you have questions on Social Security benefits and services, please access You could also access our automated services at 1-800-772-1213 or call your local Social Security office Monday to Friday from 9:00AM to 4:00PM. To locate the telephone number of your local field office, please input your residential zip code at .