CHRISTIANSTED — Members of the 34th Legislature led by Senate President Donna Frett-Gregory hosted a Perma Plaque Ceremony at the Frits E. Lawaetz Legislative Conference Room.
Lawmakers honored and commended fourteen Virgin Islanders for their outstanding contributions to the community.
The honorees are Kerra Samuel, Alwyn “Big Al” Baptiste, Alwyn “Daddy Jones” Baptiste, Jr., Janice Pemberton Tutein, Thelma Ruby Sharder Youngblood, Valrica Miranda Maria Bryson, Wallace D. Williams, Janet Valencia Prince-Soto, Charles Lambert Alvarez Christian, Bromley Nelthropp, the late Reverend Vincent Hoover Adams Gordon, Sr., D.D., Stanley and the Ten Sleepless Knights, and the late Holland L. Redfield II.
Senator Frett-Gregory stated that it is a pleasure to host this auspicious occasion in honor of the members of the St. Croix community who have contributed to the fabric of not only this district but the entire territory. Thank you for your steadfast dedication and commitment to the people of the Virgin Islands. “It is important to know that your work has not gone unnoticed. Each of you went the extra mile and went through the legislative process with favorable recommendations. It makes us proud to have these honorable people in our community,” Senator Frett Gregory said.
Senator Novelle E. Francis, Jr. also indicated that it’s an honor and privilege to move these resolutions forward. “While we would have loved to host this ceremony before, there were setbacks due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I also want to commend my colleagues who offered the resolutions, voted favorably on them, and Governor Albert Bryan, Jr., for signing off on the resolutions,” indicated Senator Francis.
The following resolutions are below:
- Resolution No. 1851- A Resolution honoring and commending Ms. Kerra Samuel, 2019 State Teacher of the Year from the district of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, for her dedication and service to the people of the Virgin Islands.
- Resolution No. 1854- A Resolution posthumously honoring and commending Alwyn “Big Al” Baptiste, Sr. for his outstanding contributions to the music industry and to the Virgin Islands community.
- Resolution No. 1855- A Resolution honoring and commending Alwyn “Daddy Jones” Baptiste, Jr. for his outstanding contributions to the music industry and to the Virgin Islands community.
- Resolution No. 1856- A Resolution posthumously honoring and commending Janice Pemberton Tutein for her tireless years of educating our youth and her work as a storyteller and culture bearer, which exemplifies dedicated service to the Virgin Islands community.
- Resolution No. 1857- A Resolution honoring and commending Thelma Ruby Sharder Youngblood for her outstanding service and contributions to the Lutheran Church of the Virgin Islands and the Virgin Islands community.
- Resolution No. 1865- A Resolution honoring and commending Valrica Miranda Maria Bryson for her contributions to the Virgin Islands school system, her mentorship of Virgin Islands youth, and her many years as a music educator.
- Resolution No. 1869- A Resolution honoring and commending Wallace D. Williams for his years of extensive work and service as a librarian and his accomplishments as an Olympic athlete representing the U.S. Virgin Islands in multiple competitions.
- Resolution No. 1870- A Resolution honoring and commending Janet Valencia Prince-Soto for her contributions to the St. Croix community through her years of educating and mentoring others in the field of cosmetology and her entrepreneurship in cosmetology.
- Resolution No. 1871- A Resolution honoring and commending Charles Lambert Alvarez Christian for his dedication and accomplishments in the field of martial arts and his service to the Virgin Islands community.
- Resolution No. 1884- Resolution honoring and commending Holland L. Redfield II posthumously for his expansive contributions to the island of St. Croix and the entire Virgin Islands community as a whole, through his roles in various areas of service in the territory and awarding him the Virgin Islands Medal of Honor for Public Service posthumously.
Senators attending the meeting: Donna A. Frett-Gregory, Novelle E. Francis, Jr., Kenneth L. Gittens, Javan E. James, Dwayne M. DeGraff, Samuel Carrión, Alma Francis Heyliger, Kurt A. Vialet, Genevieve R. Whitaker, and Steven D. Payne.